I’ll admit it.
I have always been terrible at keeping my New Year Resolution. My mind wanders. Life throws curveballs and by the middle of the year, I feel like a failure if I haven’t achieved any of my goals on the list. 2017 was a different story. This time for my resolution, I decided to focus on ONE WORD. My word was PURPOSE. As I look back, I can say for the first time I feel that I have accomplished my New Years Resolutions. Every move had to have a purpose. Every day had to have a purpose. I didn’t settle for anything that didn’t have a purpose. When I used this word to make decisions, it was easier to identify which things to say no to, choices were easier to make.
A few examples of how I applied my word resolution in different areas in my life:
- Mother: Every day I made it my purpose to teach little one something, make sure he ate healthy and make sure we did something creative.
- Creative: I picked up my camera and started taking pictures of things, moments and ideas that were important to me instead of what I thought other people would like on social media. I also started my blog this year, it was something I put off for a couple years, but since it was important to me, I decided to make it my purpose to write every week and share my thoughts.
- Friend: I reached out more often because I made it my purpose to be present for people I love. I have a bad habit of being very reclusive at times, but this year I checked up on friends and sent random texts saying hello.
- Time: If I had the time to use to help others or do something on my to do list, I didn’t make excuses. I would remember that I have a purpose and to take advantage of every minute.
For the new year to come, I hope that instead of dealing with a list of things to do, you could instead find a word that you can say to yourself throughout the day that will keep you on track.
One Word Resolution Suggestions:
Short Phrase Resolution Suggestions:
1. New Experiences
2. Carpe Diem (Seize The Day)
3. Where there is a will, There is a way.
4. Dream it, Do it.
5. Fortune favors the brave.
Please note this is just a method that personally worked for me that I wanted to share. You can take it and run with it or find another way that will keep you on track. I wish you all much success and happiness for the New Year to come. See you in 2018!